Uncertainty in Gambia
The current political uncertainty and consequent security risk in Gambia, has led the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) to advise against all but essential travel. You can find their latest guidance at https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/gambia
FCO advice is to leave by commercial means unless you have an essential need to remain. We would urge you to contact your airline or travel company for more information about departure options.
The situation is clearly fluid and we will continue to monitor events. At this point, our guidance is:
- If customers have not yet travelled and the travel organiser/airline has cancelled the trip, full refunds should be provided by the organisers.
- Customers who have not yet travelled and following FCO advice cannot do so, should contact their tour operator or travel provider for a full refund. If the travel company cannot refund monies, they should be able to rearrange the holiday destination or date.
- Given the FCO has advised against all but essential travel, in most circumstances we will not cover trips where the customer decides that they wish to continue with their trip.
- Where we have provided extended Travel Disruption cover, you are covered for cancellation or curtailment of your trip providing you purchased the insurance &/or booked the trip prior to the FCO advice.
- In the event that the travel organiser or customer changes the travel dates and/or destination of the trip, a single trip insurance policy will be amended to cover the revised trip (provided there is no claim intimated under the original policy). There will be no additional premium unless the customer travels to a higher rated area or requests wider cover.
- For customers whose trips are cancelled (either by the organiser or by themselves) and not rearranged, we will refund a single trip premium in full providing no claim has been made under the policy.
Please do contact us if you have any queries or concerns. We hope that this situation quickly and peacefully resolves itself and that you have not been inconvenienced.