Mount Agung, a volcano in East Bali, has been threatening to erupt since the 21st November and with effect from today (27th November), Indonesian authorities have raised alert levels to level 4 (the highest level). Over 100,000 residents near Mount Agung have been ordered to evacuate and there is now an expanded exclusion zone to 10 km around the volcano.
Ash clouds over 3,400m high have already caused the closure of Bali and Lombok airports and are expected to create considerable disruption to other flights in the region. It is estimated that over 445 flights and around 59,000 travellers have been affected.
The Foreign and Common Wealth office has advised that “You should monitor local media reports, follow the advice of the local authorities and stay outside the existing exclusion zone, which extends between 8 and 10 kms from the crater. Volcanic activity may escalate. Volcanic ash clouds could continue to cause flight disruption and may result in further airport closures in the region.”
Recognising the FCO’s commentary, Millstream Underwriting’s advice to policyholders is:
- Speak to your carrier for updated travel information before travelling to the airport or point of international departure. If you are in the area please follow the advice of the local authority.
- If you have been forced to curtail your trip as a result of this event, speak with your tour-operator/travel provider in the first instance regarding any payment that you may be entitled to.. If you have any pre-booked travel, accommodation or unused excursions that cannot be refunded by the tour operator or travel provider, please refer to your policy wording and submit a claim as outlined. We will not entertain any claims submitted for travel arrangements made on or after 27th November 2017 &/or where a policy has been purchased after this date.
- If you have not yet travelled and cannot as a result of this incident, , please contact your tour operator or travel provider for a full refund. If your travel company cannot refund your money, ask them to rearrange your holiday destination or date. We will not entertain any claims submitted for travel arrangements made on or after 27th November 2017 &/or where a policy has been purchased after this date.
- If you choose to cancel your trip of your own accord, your policy will not cover you for any cancellation costs that you may incur.
- If you have bought a single trip policy and cannot now travel due to suspension/cancellation of transport services and are not submitting a claim, Millstream Underwriting will refund your policy premium in full. Please apply in the first instance for this refund to the company that issued your policy.
- If you have bought a single trip policy and would like to travel to another destination or on another date, please contact Millstream Underwriting so that we can make the appropriate changes for you.
If you have any questions surrounding policy cover and our approach to this event please feel free to call us on 0330 660 0597.